All this week I have been looking forward to a Friday playing in my attic studio. With the initial success of my images from my 3D camera I decided to push the concept further by constructing 3D viewers from materials I have collected from the tideline. I already own a 3D viewer that I acquired from eBay and used this as a starting point for my own design. A delivery of lenses midweek saw me ready to begin the task.
With all the materials requisite the first hurdle I stumbled upon was the lack of a decent saw and I couldn't find my allen keys. A trip to the local DIY store later.......
Happy with my purchases I set to work manufacturing my new toy. The fashioning went well and I was delighted with the uncomplicated functional form that I had created. My delight however was short lived when the next hurdle presented itself. I had not considered or compared the strength of the purchased lenses to the ones in my 3D viewer. Because of the difference in magnification my new viewer did not work. I had spent the whole morning constructing from collected materials and was annoyed with myself for not considering the lenses or making my first construction out of cardboard.
When I hit a problem I always return to the wise advice of my father which is to step away from the quandary and sleep on it. It has never failed me yet. Often I can work out the problem in a dream and if not that then with pen and paper the next day.
I focused my energies in the afternoon sorting out my studio space and was surprised by the experiments I have amassed and the materials I have collected. I drew up a plan for the exhibits I intend to make for my Masters Show in August and felt satisfied with my progress to date and my itinerary for the next six months.